Tender bites of chicken in a sweet and savory sauce made with easy pantry ingredients. Bonus! You can make steamed rice at the same time in the same pot!
- 6 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 6 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into small 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 6 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp minced gingerroot
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp water
- Sesame seeds
For pot-in-pot rice:
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 3 cups water
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Add rice vinegar, soy sauce and water into Instant Pot. Stir in the chicken cubes.
- Dump on top (without stirring) the hoisin, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and red pepper.
- If you want to make rice at the same time then position a tall trivet into the pot. Add water and rice to a pot-in-pot pan, cover with a lid or foil and place it on top of the trivet.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Carefully remove rice pan and the trivet. Make a cornstarch slurry by stirring together cornstarch and water until smooth in a small bowl. Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Stir the slurry into the Instant Pot until sauce has thickened.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Add rice vinegar, soy sauce, chicken cubes, hoisin, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and red pepper into slow cooker. Stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 2-4 hours.
- Make a cornstarch slurry by stirring together cornstarch and water until smooth in a small bowl. Turn slow cooker to high. Stir the slurry into the slow cooker and let it thicken for 10-20 minutes.
- Serve with sesame seeds sprinkled on top.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker