Beefy chili, rice and cheddar together in one dish. Made easy (and fast) with your electric pressure cooker.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 ½ cups beef broth
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- ½ cup warmed half and half or heavy cream
- 1 (14.5 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the displays says HOT add in the beef and break it up. Add in the onions, salt, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. If there is excess grease, drain it off. Add in the garlic and saute for 20 seconds.
- Stir in the brown sugar, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Pour in the beef broth and scrape the bottom of the pot well. Add in the rice. Turn off the saute setting.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 25 minutes on high pressure. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the half and half, kidney beans and 1 cup of the cheddar.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop into serving bowls and top with additional cheddar.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot*. You can use your 3 quart or 8 quart pot with no changes.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot