Easy to make smoky chicken tacos with all the fixings. A fresh weeknight meal that comes together quickly.
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts (or a combination)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 chipotle chili peppers (canned) in adobo sauce, chopped
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp cold water
- Salt and pepper
- Lime Juice
- Taco items: shells, tomatoes, sour cream, avocados, cheese, chopped cilantro etc.
- Add chicken broth to the Instant Pot. Add in the chicken. Dump the onion, garlic, tomatoes, oregano, cumin, salt and chili peppers on top of the chicken.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 18 minutes for frozen chicken or 15 minutes for thawed chicken. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board and shred.
- Use a stick blender to blend the juices in the Instant Pot until smooth. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. Make a cornstarch slurry by stirring 3 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3 Tbsp of cold water until smooth. Add the slurry into the pot. The sauce will thicken in a couple of minutes.
- Stir the chicken into the sauce.
- Salt and pepper the chicken to taste. Add in lime juice to taste.
- Use chicken in tacos with all your favorite taco toppings.
If you’re a fan of heat you can use 3 chili peppers instead of 2. If you’re scared of heat then just use 1 chili pepper. I like to freeze the leftover chipotle peppers in a ziplock bag for later use.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot