Tender bites of chicken in a tomato sauce with creamy coconut milk. We like to serve this with rice or naan bread. The sauce is so good I could drink it.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable, canola or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 inch piece of ginger peeled and grated or minced
- 2 Tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- Optional: Cornstarch
- Fresh cilantro
- Naan bread or rice, to serve
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil. Add in the onion and saute for about 3-4 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Then add in the tomato paste, ginger, 1 Tbsp garam masala, paprika, salt and chicken broth. Stir. Add in the chicken and tomatoes. Stir.
- Cover and secure the lid, make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes on high pressure. Allow the pressure to release naturally for at least 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting and stir in the coconut milk. Add in the additional tablespoon of garam masala. If you want to thicken your sauce mix 2 Tbsp of cornstarch with 2 Tbsp of cold water and stir the smooth mixture into the pot. The sauce will thicken quickly. Turn your Instant Pot to the keep warm function.
- Serve chicken and sauce with naan bread or rice. Chop up cilantro and sprinkle it on top of each dish.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*
Garam Masala–it’s not always at every grocery store. I found mine at Smith’s (Kroger) in the spice aisle and it was the McCormick Gourmet* brand.
Chicken–I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. I like this choice best but you can also use chicken breasts. You can use bone-in chicken as well, although I would increase the cooking time to 15 minutes and I would remove the skin so it doesn’t get all soggy.
Coconut Milk–I used full fat coconut milk because that’s how I roll. You can also use heavy cream.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 522
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 981 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Protein: 36 g