Inexpensive chicken thighs coated in a zippy sparerib-style sauce made easy with your electric pressure cooker.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch + 1 Tbsp water
- Turn Instant Pot to the saute setting. While it is heating up remove the skin from the chicken thighs. Lightly salt and pepper the chicken thighs.
- When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Add chicken and lightly brown on all sides, turning frequently for about 5 minutes. Move chicken to a plate.
- Combine the water, soy sauce, brown sugar, apple juice, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, ground red pepper and ginger. Pour the mixture into the pot, scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pot. Place the chicken, meaty side down, into the liquid. If possible, fit all chicken pieces into one layer on the bottom of the pot.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Turn Instant Pot to the saute setting. Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. In a small bowl stir together 1 Tbsp of cornstarch with 1-2 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up contents of pot quickly. Stir chicken pieces and rotate often as each piece gets glazed with the sauce. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Serve sauce and chicken and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Use the same recipe and instructions for the 3 quart pot and 8 quart pot.
To make in a slow cooker: Skin the chicken thighs. Place them in a slow cooker. Combine the water, soy sauce, brown sugar, apple juice, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, ground red pepper and ginger and pour over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours. In a small bowl stir together 1 Tbsp of cornstarch with 1-2 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the slow cooker. Keep the lid off of the pot and turn to high and cook for another 30 minutes, turning the chicken often to glaze the chicken pieces in the sauce.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot