Tender shredded chicken with a scrumptious sauce and then a little crispness from cucumbers. An easy recipe with a lot of flavor and freshness. A perfect meal for a summer evening.
For the chicken:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, trimmed of excess fat
- Salt and pepper
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 12 Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
For the slaw:
- 1 medium crisp cucumber (it will be about 3 cups of shredded cucumber)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Saute onion. Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil. Swirl it around. Add in the onion and saute for about 4-5 minutes. Add in the broth and deglaze the pot. Turn off the saute setting.
- Add ingredients. Add in the chicken. Liberally salt and pepper the chicken. Dump the tomato paste, chili powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, ketchup, vinegar and dijon mustard on top of the chicken.
- Pressure cook. Place lid on the Instant Pot and secure it in place. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 12 minutes for smaller thinner chicken breasts, 15 minutes for larger breasts or thighs and 18 minutes for frozen breasts and thighs. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- Prepare the slaw. While the chicken is cooking you can prepare the slaw. Grate the cucumber into nice, long shreds. Place grated cucumber into a colander and stir in the 1 tsp of salt. Let it drain of liquids for about 30 minutes (I was surprised at how much liquid drained out). Grate the carrot. Dice the red pepper. Add the cucumber into a bowl with the carrot and red pepper and toss in the olive oil.
- Shred chicken. Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and place it on a cutting board. Shred the chicken and then add it back into the pot. Stir the chicken to coat it in the juices and seasonings. Add extra seasoning to taste, if needed.
- Serve. Portion out the chicken onto each of the rolls. Then portion out the slaw onto each of the rolls. Serve immediately and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
You can easily double this recipe. Double ingredients (except broth) and keep the cooking time the same. It is a great recipe to feed a crowd.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot