An easy dump and go recipe with chicken, rice (of your choice), enchilada sauce, black beans and spices. This is a perfect dinner for a busy weeknight or a good option to pack in individual containers for lunches during the week.
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce (mild, medium or hot)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts (frozen is okay)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- Toppings: sour cream, grated cheese, cilantro
- Add rice and water into the Instant Pot. Pour the enchilada sauce and beans over the top. Don’t stir. Place the chicken on the top. Sprinkle the chicken with garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and cumin.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Use tongs to place chicken on a cutting board. Shred the chicken and then stir it back in with the rice.
- Scoop rice and chicken into bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream, a couple tablespoons or grated cheese and some cilantro.
Rice: I used brown rice. You can use other types of rice but you’ll need to adjust the water and the cooking time. Check the rice cooking time chart below for the rice that you want to use and then subtract ¼ cup to ½ cup of the water depending on how saucy you want it. For example usually I use 1 cup brown rice to 1.25 cups of water but in this recipe I used 1.25 cups of rice to 1.25 cups of water. You’ll also need to adjust if you use frozen chicken or thawed chicken. If the rice requires less than 10 minutes of cooking time then you’ll need to use thawed chicken that is cut into pieces. Otherwise the chicken won’t cook all the way through.
Chicken: I used boneless chicken thighs. They get really tender and stay moist. Chicken breasts work too although they won’t be as tender. You can also use bone-in chicken if you prefer.
Gluten Free: This recipe can easily be made gluten free. Old El Paso’s Enchilada Sauce is naturally gluten-free and only contains soy as a potential allergen. This product is not manufactured in a dedicated gluten-free factory, so those with an extreme sensitivity should proceed cautiously.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: gluten free, dump and go, instant pot