This recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is fast and easy to make. No need to cook the chicken ahead of time, just add it straight to your pressure cooker along with the veggies and broth. We love making this recipe on a cold day or when we have a sick one in the house.
- 1 yellow onion, diced (or 3 cubes of Pop and Cook Sauteed Glazed Onions)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 8 cups water
- 3 Tbsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 2 large carrots, sliced into rounds
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 pounds uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts and thighs, cut into small bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces dry egg noodles (or other pasta of your choice)
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute function (“more”) and wait for it to heat up. When it says HOT on the display add in the oil. Let the oil heat for one minute. Then add in the onion. Saute for 4-5 minutes. (If you’re using the pop and cook sauteed onions then just eliminate this step and add the cubes straight to the pot).
- Add in the water, Better than Bouillon, carrots, celery, basil, oregano, bay leaf and chicken.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is on “sealing.” Set the manual button (or pressure cook button) to 5 minutes on high pressure.
- When the cook time ends let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes and then finish by moving the valve to “venting.”
- Remove the lid. Discard the bay leaf. Turn the Instant Pot back to the saute setting and add in the uncooked noodles. Let them cook until they reach your desired level of doneness. About 5-8 minutes. Alternatively, you can cook the noodles according to the package directions on the stove top while your soup is cooking in the pressure cooker. Then drain the noodles and add them to the pressure cooker.
- Ladle soup into bowls and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
Chicken–for chicken soup I like to use a mix of boneless skinless chicken thighs and breasts. I really enjoy the combination of dark and white meat. You can also just use one or the other.
Better than Bouillon Chicken Base–this is the basis for the broth of this soup. It tastes amazing and I really have no other substitutions besides using a carton of chicken broth. I find Better than Bouillon* to be incredibly convenient. I buy mine in bulk at Costco. If you want to use chicken broth instead eliminate the water and the better than bouillon and just pour in 8 cups of high quality chicken broth.
Noodles–traditionally egg noodles are used in chicken noodle soup but you can also use any other type of pasta that suits your fancy. I’ve used radiatore and rotini before.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
- Calories: 197
- Sugar: 1 gram
- Sodium: 1007 mg
- Fat: 8 grams
- Carbohydrates: 10 grams
- Protein: 22 grams