A throw everything into the Instant Pot and walk away meal! Flavorful rice and chicken that has all the great flavors from chicken fajitas! Make it with brown or white rice.
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 (10 oz) can mild rotel (diced tomatoes with green chiles)
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts (frozen is okay)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 green bell pepper, diced or sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced or sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: cilantro, avocado slices, lime wedges
- Add the onion into the bottom of the Instant Pot. Then pour in the broth. Sprinkle in the rice evenly. Then add rotel. Place the chicken on top. Sprinkle the chicken and rice evenly with the chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Cover your Instant Pot and make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes.
- When the time is up let the pot sit for another 10 minutes (display will say L0:10). Move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken and place it on a cutting board. Add the bell peppers into the pot and put the lid back on the pot so that the warm food can “cook” the peppers. Cut up the chicken or shred it. Add the chicken back into the pot.
- Stir the sour cream and cheddar cheese into the pot.
- Scoop onto serving dishes and enjoy with any toppings you like.
I choose to add my peppers at the end because I don’t like them too mushy. The heat from the rice just slightly cooks them. Alternately you could saute your peppers on the stove top. I don’t really recommend pressure cooking peppers because they are a tender vegetable and get too soft.
To make with white rice: Use 1 ½ cups uncooked white rice and 2 cups of broth instead. Use only chicken breasts that are sliced to 1 to 1 ½ inches thick. Cook for 5 minutes and then use a 10 minute natural pressure release.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can halve this recipe and make it in the 3 quart Instant Pot. You can also keep the recipe exactly the same and make it in the 8 quart Instant Pot.
This recipe is gluten free.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot