The pot-in-pot cooking method allows you to cook cilantro lime rice, seasoned chicken, onions and bell peppers all together and in just a few minutes in your electric pressure cooker. Then they are layered in a bowl with cheese, sweet corn, tomatoes, black beans, sour cream and guacamole. It’s definitely a fiesta in your mouth.
For the cilantro lime rice:
- 1 1/2 cups white rice (or jasmine rice)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 (4 oz) can green chiles (optional)
- Half of one bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
For the peppers:
- 2 or 3 bell peppers, your choice of color(s), cored and sliced into strips
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp oil
For the chicken:
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 2 chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 red onion, diced or sliced
For serving (these are all optional):
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- Tomatoes or salsa
- Guacamole (this is what made the meal for me!)
- Sour cream
- Black beans, warmed up
- Sweet white corn, warmed up
- In a fine mesh strainer rinse your rice until the water runs clear. Shake off excess water. In a dish that will fit inside your pressure cooker (must be oven safe) place all the ingredients for the rice. Stir a bit. I used a 7 inch cake pan. (If you have a dish with a flat bottom that is not glass that will work best.) Set the dish aside.
- Make a foil packet by ripping off a piece of foil and placing your peppers in the middle. Lightly salt and pepper them and pour the oil over the top. Bring the edges up and crimp to seal. Set aside.
- Browning is an optional step, but for best flavor do not skip. Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting and heat up the oil for a minute. Place chicken in the pot. Let the chicken brown on each side for 3 minutes without moving it or checking it. Take the chicken breasts out and slice them into strips. Deglaze the pot with the chicken broth. Turn off the saute function. Add the chicken back into the pot and then add in the seasoned salt, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, lime juice, tomato paste and red onion. Stir to coat the chicken in the mixture.
- Place your foil packet on top of the chicken. Carefully place your pot of rice on top of the foil packet.
- Lock the lid into place and make sure valve is set to “sealing.” Set the manual button (or pressure cook button) to 5 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 5-10 minutes. Then remove any remaining pressure by moving the valve to venting.
- Remove the lid. Carefully remove the bowl of rice and set it on the counter (the bottom of the pan might be a bit dirty). Taste for doneness. If the rice is not quite done then cover the pan with a towel or foil and let it steam for a few minutes.
- Carefully open up the foil packet and stir the peppers into the chicken mixture.
- Prepare your other optional toppings. Serve chicken and its sauce and the peppers on top of rice and then add any other toppings you prefer.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot