A homey comfort food dish of chicken, rice, and smoked sausage.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked brown rice (for white rice see note below)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or 1 pound chicken breasts)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp crushed rosemary
- Pinch of red pepper
- 1 (9-12 oz) package smoked sausage, sliced
- For topping: sliced green onions and hot sauce
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When the display says HOT add in the olive oil and onions. Sauté for about 4 minutes. If desired, you can brown up the sausage at the same time. Remove sausage and place on a plate.
- Pour in chicken broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot. Add in the bay leaf, rice, chicken, carrots, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, parsley, rosemary, red pepper and sliced smoked sausage.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- Break up the chicken with a fork. Stir and serve topped with green onions and a few drops of hot sauce.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Make in the 8 quart pot with no changes. Halve the recipe in the 3 quart pot.
To make with white rice instead of brown rice: Cut your chicken thighs up into quarters. Use 1 cup of uncooked white rice and the same amount of broth as listed above. Pressure cook for 5 minutes with a 5-10 minute natural pressure release.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot