Dried navy beans are quickly pressure cooked with onion, garlic, spices, carrots, celery and chicken (or you can use turkey). You can make it creamy or dairy free (it’s up to you). For cold nights this soup is a 10 out of 10!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 ribs of celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 pound dry navy beans, rinsed and sorted
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts uncooked (frozen is fine)
- 1 cup half and half (see note)
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Then add in the onion and saute for about 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add in the chicken broth. Scrape the bottom of the pot.
- Add in the carrots, celery, navy beans, bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, smoked paprika, pepper and salt. Stir. Nestle the chicken into the pot.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 33 minutes on high pressure (some people who have made this have expressed that they would cook the beans for 2-5 minutes longer).
- When the time is up let the pot sit for another 5 minutes (display will say L0:05). Then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid when you can.
- Use tongs to remove the chicken and place it on a cutting board to shred. Add shredded chicken back into the pot.
- Warm your half and half before adding it to the pot so it doesn’t curdle. I do this by putting it in a glass measuring cup in the microwave for 1 minute. Add the warmed half and half into the pot. Stir. Taste test. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can use your 8 quart pot for this recipe also. Keep the cooking time the same. You will have to halve this recipe if you’re using a small 3 quart pot. Same cooking time.
You can also use 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs in the place of the breasts. Or you can use cooked chicken or turkey (about 1 pound). Just add the cooked meat in after the beans have pressure cooked. Another idea is to add cubed ham. Ham is salty though so you’d probably want to cut the salt down to 3/4 tsp.
I chose to add in a cup of half and half (a product with half cream and half whole milk) into my soup. It gave it the creamy taste. I really loved it with the dairy but if you are trying to cut back on calories or are lactose intolerant you can just leave the half and half out.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
- Calories: 382
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 1019 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Fiber: 15 g
- Protein: 34 g
- Cholesterol: 55 mg
Keywords: gluten free, instant pot