An easy Instant Pot version of gumbo that can be as spicy or as bland as you want! It has loads of flavor and tastes amazing served with rice.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 (14 oz) package Andouille sausage, sliced into quarter inch rounds
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (if you love spice you can add up to 1 tsp)
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 6 Tbsp flour
- For serving: hot cooked rice, diced green onion, tabasco sauce
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Add in the onion and saute for 4 minutes. Then add in the garlic and saute for 20 seconds. Pour in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add in the celery, peppers, sausage, chicken, thyme, paprika, garlic powder, bay leaves, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 1 minute. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. In a glass measuring cup melt the butter in the microwave and then whisk in one tablespoon of flour at a time until is is creamy and smooth. Ladle a few scoops of the hot liquid from the Instant Pot into the mixture. Stir. Then stir the whole mixture into the Instant Pot. Let the mixture thicken the contents of the Instant Pot and cook the flour for 3-5 minutes. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Serve gumbo with rice, green onions and Tabasco, if desired.
If you don’t like spice: use smoked sausage or kielbasa in place of the andouille sausage. Leave out the cayenne pepper and don’t serve with Tabasco sauce.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.For the 8 quart pot, make the recipe with no changes. For the 3 quart pot, halve the recipe and keep the cooking time the same.
To make in the slow cooker: add onion, garlic, broth, celery, peppers, sausage, chicken (don’t cut up, put in whole), thyme, paprika, garlic powder, bay leaves, salt, pepper and cayenne into the slow cooker. In a glass measuring cup melt the butter in the microwave and then whisk in one tablespoon of flour at a time until is is creamy and smooth. Stir the mixture into the pot. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Remove the bay leaves and discard. Cut up the chicken or shred it up. Serve gumbo with rice, green onions and Tabasco, if desired.
- Method: Instant Pot