Seasoned ground beef, frozen hashbrowns and cheddar cheese come together in a hearty soup that is so addicting! Slurp slurp!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups frozen hash browns
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 cups half and half or milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toppings: diced dill pickles, mustard, ketchup
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the beef and break it up. Add in the diced onion. Brown for about 5 minutes. Drain off excess grease. Stir in the garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt and pepper. Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking.
- Add in the hash browns and the diced tomatoes.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the SOUP button to 1 minute. When time is up you can let the pot sit or you can immediately move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Ladle a cup or two of the hot broth into the half and half to temper it. Then stir the mixture into the pot.
- Whisk the flour, a tablespoon at a time, into the melted butter until creamy and smooth. Turn the Instant Pot to saute setting and stir the mixture into the pot to thicken the soup. Cook until raw flour taste is gone and the soup has thickened.
- Turn off Instant Pot and then stir in the cheddar and let it melt. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and top each serving with diced pickles and a squirt of mustard and ketchup, if desired.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 minute
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot