Creamy risotto-like rice with cheddar, broccoli and (optional) pieces of chicken breast. A one pot family-friendly meal perfect for a busy weeknight.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (optional)
- 1 pound fresh or frozen broccoli florets
- 6 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the butter. Swirl the pot around to melt the butter. Once butter is melted add in the onion. Saute the onion for 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and rice and stir for 1 minute. Add in 1 cup of the broth and stir for 2 minutes. Add in the remaining broth, the salt and then lay the chicken on top (if using).
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes (high pressure). Once time is up let the pot sit there for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- If using frozen broccoli florets, put them in a colander and run hot water over them for a couple minutes. Shake off the excess water and stir them into the rice. If using fresh broccoli florets you can do one of two things. First and faster idea is to put the florets in a glass bowl with a quarter cup of water and put them in the microwave for 4-5 minutes, until the broccoli is steamed and reaches your desired cooked consistency. Second idea is you add the fresh broccoli to the pot after the pressure has released and then put the lid back on and let the broccoli cook on the warm setting with the lid on for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board. Cut into pieces. Then stir them back into the pot. Stir in the cheddar. Salt and pepper to taste. Scoop onto serving plates and enjoy.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
This recipe is gluten free. Just check your broth to be sure it does not contain gluten.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe with chicken
- Calories: 477
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 711 mg
- Fat: 18 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Protein: 38 g
Keywords: one pot meal