Instant Pot Carolina Mustard BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches are a twist on the tomato-based bbq sauce pulled pork sandwich. Instead the tender shredded pork is coated with a mustard-based bbq sauce that is prevalent in South Carolina. A super easy recipe that can easily feed a hungry crowd.
For the pork:
- 3 1/2 lbs pork shoulder or butt roast (see note), trimmed of excess fat
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
For the Carolina mustard BBQ sauce:
- 3/4 cup yellow mustard
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- Quarter the pork and then place pork in bottom of Instant Pot or the slow cooker. Add in broth, liquid smoke and salt.
- For the Instant Pot: Cover and make sure valve is on “sealing.” Set the manual button for 70 minutes on high pressure. When the time is up let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes. Release any extra pressure by gently pushing the valve to “venting.” For the Slow Cooker: cover and cook on low for 8-12 hours, or until meat is very tender.
- While the pork is cooking make the BBQ sauce. Combine all BBQ sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk well. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Flavor gets better with time.
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board and shred with a fork. It should be ultra tender. Place pork in a large bowl.
- Drizzle desired amount of BBQ sauce over the pork and stir until it is coated.
- Pile pork onto buns and serve.
If you have a Winco near you try the pork carnitas meat that they often sell. It is usually inexpensive and cut into almost steak-like pieces. I cooked a huge package of it for 60 minutes (because it’s thinner than a roast) and it was completely tender. And there really isn’t fat to trim off.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Make this in your 8 quart with no changes. Halve the ingredients for the 3 quart Instant Pot and keep the cooking time the same.
- Category: Pork
- Method: Instant Pot