Navy beans with molasses and salt pork pressure cooked in a fraction of the time it would take to cook in the oven.
- 1 pound dry navy beans
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup molasses
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 12 oz salt pork, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Add beans and 7 cups water into Instant Pot. Cover pot and secure lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 20 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then perform a controlled release. Drain the water and rinse off the beans.
- Add the beans back into the Instant Pot. Add in 1 ½ cups of water.
- Add 1 cup of boiling water, salt, brown sugar, molasses, pepper, dry mustard to a bowl and stir mixture. Add mixture to the Instant Pot. Rinse the salt pork well and then add it in.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes. When time is up let the pressure release naturally for 10-20 minutes. Release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid. Stir the beans. Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. Let the sauce thicken and reduce down for about 10-15 minutes until it is thick. Stir every so often.
- Taste test and add more molasses or salt and pepper to taste.
A controlled release is releasing the steam in controlled bursts. You will switch the valve back and forth between sealing and venting, a few seconds at a time. Releasing the steam like this prevents the liquid from spewing out and making a mess. I like to use this method when there is a very full pot or if the food is starchy.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Beans
- Method: Instant Pot