Bread pockets filled with ground beef, cabbage, onions and spices. Portable and delicious!
For the filling:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onions
- 4–5 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
For the dough:
- 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 4 1/2 tsp instant yeast (also called quick rise yeast)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
Make the filling:
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the ground beef and break it up*. Add in the onion. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. Drain off excess grease (if there is any). Turn off Instant Pot.
- Stir in the cabbage, seasoned salt, black pepper and water. Cover the Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid. Pour mixture into a bowl and refrigerate while you make the dough.
Make the dough and bake:
- In a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook (or in a large mixing bowl) add 1 ½ cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl, melt the butter and then stir in the milk and water. The temperature needs to be 120°-130°F. Pop into the microwave, if needed to reach that temperature.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture. Stir a few strokes. Then add in the eggs.
- Mix on low speed adding in 1 cup of flour at a time until it starts to clear the sides of the bowl. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic (just a minute or two).
- Place dough in a greased bowl and let raise for 1 hour OR place in greased Instant Pot liner and set Instant Pot to yogurt function LESS (use adjust button to get it to less, it should say 24 hours) and let it raise for 25-30 minutes. Dough will double in size.
- Punch the dough down. Then divide it into 11-12 equal balls (about 4 ounces each). Flatten each ball to a circle 4-5 inch in diameter. Scoop ¼ cup of filling (use slotted spoon, make sure there is no liquid) into the middle of the dough. Bring the edges of the circle together and pinch them to seal the dough completely. Continue until all the dough and filling has been used.
- Place each filled dough (seam side down) onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (you might need 2 pans to fit all of them). Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes and then serve. (We liked a bit of mustard with ours!)
Optional ideas: for extra flavor add in ½ tsp of garlic powder in with the salt and pepper. For a creamy twist, stir in 4 oz of cream cheese with the meat mixture after it has pressure cooked. If you love melty cheese, place a large slice of cheddar on the filling before sealing the dough. To add more color and nutrition add some grated carrots in with the filling.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot