Instant Pot Beef Spare Ribs–fall off the bone tender spare ribs that seem like a lot of effort but are actually super easy and hands off.
Get the SLOW COOKER version of the recipe here
Instant Pot Beef Spare Ribs
On our weekly date to Winco ;), my husband and I spotted some beef spare ribs. He suggested that it would be a good thing to try in the Instant Pot. I’ve made pork baby back ribs quite a few times in the Instant Pot so I figured that beef spare ribs would be similar. They were similar. Super easy to make and they get super duper tender. There’s really no need to spend a lot of time slaving over the grill when you can just pop these babies into the Instant Pot. Of course, you can always end the cooking process on the grill to get the texture you like.
If you like meat…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Beef Spare Ribs I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
Fall off the bone tender spare ribs that seem like a lot of effort but are actually super easy and hands off.
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 pounds beef spare ribs
- 1 Tbsp canola, vegetable or olive oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Optional: 2 Tbsp cornstarch + 2 Tbsp cold water
- In a small bowl combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Cut the ribs into 4 or more smaller sections so that they will fit inside the Instant Pot. Rub the seasonings on the ribs.
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil. Brown the meaty side of each of the ribs for 3 minutes.
- Remove the ribs with tongs and set on a plate or cutting board. Deglaze the pot with the beef broth. Add in the tomato paste and the vinegar. Place a trivet* in the Instant Pot and then place the ribs on top of the trivet (we lined ours up side by side, like books on a shelf).
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 40 minutes.
- Allow enough time for a full natural pressure release. When the pin drops, open the pot and remove the ribs with tongs. Set aside.
- If you want, make a gravy with the juices that remain in the pot. Turn the pot to the saute setting. In a small bowl, stir together 2 Tbsp of cold water with 2 Tbsp of cornstarch until smooth. Whisk the mixture into the pot until the sauce thickens.
- Serve ribs with gravy.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
This recipe is GLUTEN-FREE! Just check your broth to be sure it does not contain gluten.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Beef Spare Ribs? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.