Slices of seasoned top round roast piled on white toast and then topped with a scoop of creamy mashed potatoes and drizzled with caramelized onion gravy.
For the meat:
- 2 pounds beef top round roast
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup water or beef broth
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
For the onion gravy:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 medium onions, cut into thick rings
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp vinegar
For mashed potatoes:
- 4–6 medium Russet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4–1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- 6–8 slices of white toast
For the meat:
- Turn your Instant Pot to the sauté setting. While it is heating up pat the roast dry with paper towels. Then press the salt and pepper all over the meat. When the display says HOT add in the oil. Place the roast in the Instant Pot and brown for 3 minutes. Turn the roast over and brown for 3 minutes. Brown 2 more sides for 2 minutes each. Turn off Instant Pot. Add in the 1 cup water/broth and scrape the bottom of the pot clean.
- Place a trivet into the pot. Place the roast on top of the trivet. Drizzle the Worcestershire sauce on top of the roast. Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing.
- Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes (YES only 3 minutes!). When the time is up let the pot sit for 30 minutes (YES 30 minutes natural pressure release!).
- Remove the lid and measure the temperature of the middle of the roast. It should be close to 120° F. If the temperature is significantly lower than that place the roast back into the pot and cover. Use the Keep Warm button to continue to slow roast the beef. It will rise 7° to 10° every 5 minutes.
- Place the roast on a cutting board and loosely tent it with foil. Let it rest for 8 minutes. Use a large serrated knife to slice the meat as thin as possible. It will be pink in the middle and that’s okay!
For the gravy and potatoes:
- While the meat is resting on the cutting board add butter, onions, baking soda, ½ tsp pepper, 1 ½ tsp kosher salt, ½ tsp Better Than Bouillon Beef Base into the Instant Pot with the drippings that are in the pot from the meat. Scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking.
- Wash and cut up the potatoes into cubes and place into a steamer basket. Lower the steamer basket into the pot on top of the onions.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 8 minutes. When time is up perform a quick release by moving the valve to venting.
- Remove the lid. Pour the steamer basket of potatoes into a big bowl. Pour the onions and drippings into a blender. Add in garlic, parsley and vinegar. Blend until smooth.
- Mash the potatoes until creamy. Stir in the 2 Tbsp of butter, milk and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place a piece of toast on a plate. Pile meat on top of toast. Add 1 scoop of potatoes on top and drizzle with gravy.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot