An easy dump and go version of beef lo mein with broccoli, carrots, noodles and thinly sliced beef.
- 1 to 1 ½ pounds beef bottom round roast, pre-sliced very thin
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp minced gingerroot
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp oyster or fish sauce
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 8 oz spaghetti (whole wheat is okay)
- 2 cups beef broth (or 2 cups water + 2 tsp better than bouillon beef base)
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into matchstick size pieces
- 1 pound fresh broccoli
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Crushed red pepper
- Sesame seeds
- Cut the thin slices of beef round roast into 2 inch pieces (I used kitchen shears). Add them into Instant Pot.
- Add oil, soy sauce, gingerroot, garlic, vinegar, fish sauce, black pepper and brown sugar into Instant Pot. Stir well to coat the beef. If you have time let the beef marinate in the sauce for 15 minutes to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Add broth into the pot. Break spaghetti in half and lay it in a criss cross pattern in the pot. Use a spoon to press the noodles down a bit into the liquid.
- For soft, cooked vegetables add the carrots in on top of spaghetti and then the broccoli in one or two big pieces. For more of a stir-fried taste with the vegetables do not add in now (see note).
- Cover Instant Pot and lock the lid into place. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting for 1 second and stop. Repeat multiple times until the steam coming out is less forceful. At that point, you can release the remaining pressure in a steady stream. Remove the lid.
- Cut broccoli into smaller pieces, it should be very soft. Stir everything together well so that sauce is coating the noodles. Stir in the sesame oil and red pepper to taste (start small, you can always add more). Add in sesame seeds to taste.
- Scoop into bowls and serve.
For a more stir-fried taste to your vegetables heat a pan on the stove over medium high heat (do this while the noodles and beef are pressure cooking). Add in 2 tsp of vegetable oil. Cut broccoli into small florets. Add in broccoli florets and carrots and sauté until crisp-tender. Set aside and then stir the vegetables in with the noodles when pressure cooking cycle is up.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Make in 8 quart pot with no changes. Halve the recipe for the 3 quart pot.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot