Tender and moist shredded or sliced beef brisket piled on a soft roll and topped with a slice of pepper jack cheese. A perfect recipe to make for game day.
- 1 (3 pound) brisket (see note)
- 1 Tbsp seasoned salt
- 2 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup beef broth 1 onion, sliced into large chunks
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Your favorite BBQ sauce
- Martin’s Dinner Potato Rolls
- Pepper Jack cheese slices
- Cut all the excess fat off of the brisket. This a little bit of time. I used latex gloves and a sharp knife to slice off the fat cap. I was left with about 2 pounds of meat after I cut off all the fat.
- Massage seasoned salt into each side of the brisket.
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute function. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around.
- Lay the brisket into the pot and let it sit for 5 minutes. Use tongs to turn it over and let the other side brown for 5 minutes. Remove the meat from the pot.
- Deglaze the pot with the beef broth. Scrape the bottom of the pot until it is clean. Add in the onion chunks. Lay the brisket on top of the onion.
- Drizzle the liquid smoke and Worcestershire over the brisket.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 60 minutes for sliceable brisket or 70 minutes for shreddable brisket.
- When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the meat and place it on a cutting board. Tent it with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Shred or slice the brisket. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pile the meat on a roll and top with a bit of barbecue sauce and a slice of pepper jack cheese. Enjoy!
It can be hard to find a 3 pound brisket. Many times they come in huge amounts (like 15 pounds). I asked the butcher to cut a large one into 3 pound increments. He was happy to do it and then he repackaged the meat.