Tender and moist shredded or sliced beef brisket piled on a soft roll and topped with a slice of pepper jack cheese. A perfect recipe to make for game day.
- 1 (3 pound) brisket (see note)
- 1 Tbsp seasoned salt
- 2 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup beef broth 1 onion, sliced into large chunks
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Your favorite BBQ sauce
- Martin’s Dinner Potato Rolls
- Pepper Jack cheese slices
- Cut all the excess fat off of the brisket. This a little bit of time. I used latex gloves and a sharp knife to slice off the fat cap. I was left with about 2 pounds of meat after I cut off all the fat.
- Massage seasoned salt into each side of the brisket.
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute function. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around.
- Lay the brisket into the pot and let it sit for 5 minutes. Use tongs to turn it over and let the other side brown for 5 minutes. Remove the meat from the pot.
- Deglaze the pot with the beef broth. Scrape the bottom of the pot until it is clean. Add in the onion chunks. Lay the brisket on top of the onion.
- Drizzle the liquid smoke and Worcestershire over the brisket.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 60 minutes for sliceable brisket or 70 minutes for shreddable brisket.
- When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the meat and place it on a cutting board. Tent it with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Shred or slice the brisket. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pile the meat on a roll and top with a bit of barbecue sauce and a slice of pepper jack cheese. Enjoy!
It can be hard to find a 3 pound brisket. Many times they come in huge amounts (like 15 pounds). I asked the butcher to cut a large one into 3 pound increments. He was happy to do it and then he repackaged the meat.
To make gluten free: Double check your beef broth to be sure it is gluten free. Swanson’s Organic Beef Broth says gluten free and no msg right on the front of the box. You can find gluten-free buns in the freezer section at many grocery stores. Kinnickinnick and Udi brands are good. Chick-fil-A has gluten free buns that are soft and delicious! You can purchase them alone for about $1.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American