Creamy mashed potatoes topped with sausages and a rich caramelized onion gravy.
Equipment needed: steamer basket and potato masher
- 12 oz package of sausage links
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3–4 medium yellow or sweet Vidalia onions, sliced into rings
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pounds red, yellow or Russet potatoes, washed, peeled (if desired) and cut into cubes
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup milk or buttermilk, warmed
- 2–3 Tbsp cornstarch
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When display says HOT add the sausage links into the pot. Brown for about 3 minutes on one side and then flip over and brown for another 3 minutes on the other side. They won’t be completely cooked through, move to a plate.
- Add the butter into the pot and let melt. Add in the onions, baking soda, pepper and 1 ½ tsp kosher salt. Toss well. Cook just until onions start to release their juices, 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot. Add in the vinegar, thyme, sage and Worcestershire. Place the sausage links on top.
- Add the potatoes into a steamer basket*. Place the steamer basket into Instant Pot on top of the onions/sausages. Push down to fit.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 8 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting and remove the lid.
- Move steamer basket out of the pot and dump potatoes into a large serving bowl. Move the sausages to a plate. Mash the potatoes well. Add in the ½ tsp kosher salt, butter and milk. Stir well, until creamy.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Thicken the gravy with a cornstarch slurry. In a small bowl stir together 2-3 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up gravy quickly. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Scoop potatoes onto a plate, place some sausages on top and then ladle gravy over the top. Eat and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Sausage
- Method: Instant Pot