Caramelized onions, red potatoes, bacon and parmesan bring a potato side dish to a whole new level.
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 large sweet Vidalia onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 pounds medium red potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 7 strips of crispy bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When display says HOT add in the butter and let it melt. Add in the onions, salt, garlic powder, pepper, baking soda and thyme. Cook until onions start releasing moisture and yellowing. Pour in the water. Scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Toss in the potatoes.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes.
- When time is up move valve to venting and remove the lid.
- Use a potato masher to smash the potatoes. They should be chunky, with texture. Stir in the buttermilk, parmesan cheese and bacon. Serve and enjoy.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Side
- Method: Instant Pot