This recipe for Instant Pot Apple Cider Chicken is a warm and comforting fall dinner that is also healthy and delicious. A tangy cider glaze gives the chicken and sweet potatoes a sweet and savory finish.
- 2/3 cup apple cider (not apple cider vinegar)
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenderloins (or chicken breasts or thighs cut into chunks)
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp Dijon (or spicy brown mustard)
- 1 Tbsp melted butter or olive oil
- 12 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes (or butternut squash)
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch + 1 Tbsp cold water
- 2 granny smith or golden delicious apples, peeled and sliced
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Pour apple cider into Instant Pot. Add in the chicken tenders. Sprinkle with 2 big pinches of kosher salt and some freshly cracked pepper.
- In a bowl stir together the honey, dijon and melted butter/olive oil. Pour it over the chicken.
- In a pan that fits inside your Instant Pot add the sweet potatoes, rosemary, salt, pepper and olive oil. Toss well until coated.
- Place a tall trivet into the Instant Pot around the chicken. Place the sweet potato pan on top of the trivet.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- Remove the sweet potato pan and set aside.
- Make a cornstarch slurry with about 1 Tbsp cornstarch and 1 Tbsp water. Stir the mixture into the pot with the chicken. Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. Add in the apples. When the sauce has thickened turn off the Instant Pot.
- Gently stir the contents of the sweet potato pan into the Instant Pot with the chicken and sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Add apple cider, chicken, honey, dijon, butter, sweet potatoes, rosemary, salt, pepper and olive oil into slow cooker. Stir well. Add in a couple pinches of kosher salt and some freshly cracked pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Make a cornstarch slurry with about 1 Tbsp cornstarch and 1 Tbsp water. Stir the mixture into the slow cooker. Add in the apples. Cook on high without the lid for about 10-15 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker