The classic 15 bean and ham soup recipe made in your electric pressure cooker in less than an hour. With just a handful of ingredients you’ll have a hearty and healthy pot of soup in no time.
- 1 (20 oz) package Hurst’s HamBeens Brand 15 Bean Soup with seasoning packet
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb cubed ham
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 cups water
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Open the package of beans and reserve the seasoning packet for later. Soak the beans in plenty of water overnight in a large bowl (8-10 hours) and then pour them into a colander and rinse with cool water. OR do the quick soak method (outlined below).
- QUICK SOAK METHOD: First just pour the beans into a colander and rinse them off. Sometimes dried beans have a little dirt and debris in them. Once they have been rinsed you can add the beans to the Instant Pot.
- Next you’ll cover the beans with water. For every one cup of beans you’ll want about 3-4 cups of water. I used 8 cups of water for the entire package of dried beans.
- Now you’ll bring the pot to a boil by using the the “sauté” function on your Instant Pot.
- Once the water comes to a boil you will cover the pot with the lid and set the valve to “sealing.” Then you’ll set the manual pressure cooker button to 2 minutes.
- When the timer beeps you can open the valve very slowly. If foam begins to exit the valve stop releasing the pressure and wait for 30 seconds before you try again.
- Once the lid is removed go ahead and drain and rinse the beans in a colander under cool running water. Now you can proceed with the recipe that requires pre-soaked beans.
- Add beans to the Instant Pot. Add in onion, ham, salt and 8 cups of water. Cover the Instant Pot and lock the lid. Make sure valve is set to “sealing.” Press the manual pressure cook button and set the timer to 20 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then move the valve to “venting” to release the rest of the pressure. Remove the lid.
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. Add in the tomatoes*, chili powder, lemon juice and garlic. Stir. Add in the reserved seasoning packet. Stir. If needed, salt and pepper to taste. Cook on the saute setting for about 5 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
*We don’t add the tomatoes and lemon juice at the beginning because they are acidic ingredients. Dried beans will not get soft if they are cooked with acidic ingredients.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot