Your childhood favorite pork n’ beans made at home in your slow cooker with dried beans and lots of crispy bacon and just a couple other pantry staples.
- 12 oz of dried pinto beans (this is about 2 cups of dried beans)
- 1 Tbsp salt (for soaking)
- 2 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 6 pieces of crispy cooked bacon, cut into quarter inch pieces
- In a large bowl place the dried beans (sort out any dirt or rocks). Add enough water to cover the beans by 2 inches. Add in 1 Tbsp of salt. Let the beans soak overnight for at least 8 hours. The beans will expand so make sure you have enough water and a big enough bowl.
- After the beans have soaked, pour the beans into a colander and rinse off the beans. Place the rinsed beans into the slow cooker. Add in 4 cups of water.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or until beans are to the desired tenderness. Drain off any extra water.
- Add in 2 cans of tomato sauce, Dijon mustard, molasses, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste. Gently stir. Add in the bacon and gently stir.
- Serve immediately or turn the slow cooker to warm and serve at your leisure. The beans will stay good on warm for up to 3 hours.
This recipe could easily be doubled for a potluck!