Dough bread pockets with a filling of marinara sauce, cheese and pepperonis. They can be frozen for an easy lunch or snack. Use the yogurt function on your Instant Pot to quickly raise the bread dough.
For the dough:
- 4 ½ to 5 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 4 ½ tsp instant yeast (also called quick rise yeast)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
For the filling:
- 1 (24 oz) jar marinara sauce/spaghetti sauce
- ½ cup chopped pepperoni
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Optional: ½ pound ground Italian sausage, browned and drained
- Optional: ½ cup crumbled bacon
- Optional: ½ cup ricotta cheese
- In a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook (or in a large mixing bowl) add 1 ½ cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Set aside.
- In the microwave or on the stove heat the milk, water and butter to 120°-130° F (this isn’t that hot, I use a digital thermometer*)
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture. Stir a few strokes. Then add in the eggs. Mix on low speed adding in 1 cup of flour at a time until it starts to clear the sides of the bowl. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic (just a minute or two).
- Place dough in a greased bowl and let raise for 1 hour OR place in greased Instant Pot liner and set Instant Pot to yogurt function LESS (use adjust button to get it to less, it should say 24 hours) and let it raise for 25-30 minutes. Dough will double in size.
- While dough is raising prepare the filling. Add spaghetti sauce, pepperoni, mozzarella, parmesan, sausage, bacon and ricotta to a bowl and stir.
- Punch the dough down. Then divide it into 12 equal portions (mine was 3.75 ounces each). Work with one portion of dough at a time. With a rolling pin, roll a portion of dough into 6 inch x 8 inch rectangle/oblong shape. Scoop a heaping ½ cup of filling into the middle of the dough. Bring two sides of dough up to each other and pinch to close, pinch the ends to close as well.
- Place each filled dough (seam side down) onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (you might need 2 pans to fit all of them). Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes and then serve.