Layers of tortillas, seasoned ground meat, black beans, refried beans and cheese. A delicious and fun way to enjoy the flavors of tacos!
- 1 pound ground turkey (or ground beef)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2–3 Tbsp of taco seasoning (I used 2 Tbsp)
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel (I used mild)
- 1 (15.25 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 flour tortillas
- 1 (16 oz) can refried beans
- 1 cup shredded mexican cheese blend
- Brown the turkey–You can do this step on the stove or in the Instant Pot using the saute setting. Add the turkey to the pan/pot and break it up. Add in the onions and taco seasoning. Cook through for about 5 minutes over medium high heat.
- Add in the Rotel and black beans and stir. Cook for about 3 more minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Lay the 6 tortillas on your work surface. Spread an even amount of refried beans over each of the tortillas (like you’re spreading peanut butter on a sandwich). Sprinkle a quarter cup of cheese over the top of 3 of the tortillas. Then make 3 tortilla sandwiches by placing 3 of non-cheese tortillas on top of 3 of the cheese tortillas.
- In a 7 inch by 4 inch round cake pan* add 1 ½ cups of the meat mixture in the bottom. Then layer one of the tortilla sandwiches on top. Repeat 2 more times, ending with tortillas. Finally sprinkle the remaining quarter cup of cheese on top.
- Cover the pan with foil.
- You can bake this in the oven or in the Instant Pot. Both cooking times will be about the same (the deepness of the pan makes it take longer than you would think). For the oven, bake at 350 for 50 minutes and then remove the foil and bake for 5 more minutes. For the Instant Pot, pour 1 ½ cups of water into bottom of a clean instant pot liner. Place a trivet in the bottom of the pot and then place the foil-covered dish on top of the trivet. Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 50 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting and remove the lid.
- Let the dish sit for about 10 minutes and then scoop onto plates and enjoy! You can serve this with chopped tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, sour cream, avocado, salsa, shredded lettuce, etc.