Meatball stuffed dinner rolls with garlic butter and a marinara dipping sauce.
- 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 4 1/2 tsp instant yeast (also called quick rise yeast)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 Tbsp dried diced onion (or 1/2 cup diced fresh onion)
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
For the garlic butter:
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
Make the dough:
- In a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook (or in a large mixing bowl) add 1 ½ cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Set aside.
- In the microwave or on the stove heat the milk, water and butter to 120°-130° F (this isn’t that hot, I use a digital thermometer*).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture. Stir a few strokes. Then add in the eggs.
- Mix on low speed adding in 1 cup of flour at a time until it starts to clear the sides of the bowl. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic (just a minute or two).
- Place dough in a greased bowl and let raise for 1 hour OR place in greased Instant Pot liner and set Instant Pot to yogurt function LESS (use adjust button to get it to less, it should say 24 hours) and let it raise for 25-30 minutes. Dough will double in size.
- Punch the dough down. Then divide it into 15 equal portions (mine was 3 ounces each).
Make the meatball mixture:
- Combine all meatballs ingredients in a bowl. Use your clean hands (or gloved hands) to mix the ingredients well.
Put it all together:
- Press the dough portions flat into a circle about 4-5 inches in diameter.
- Take 2 tablespoons of the meatball mixture and form into a ball.
- Place the meat into the middle of the dough.
- Bring the edges together and pinch them to seal the dough completely. It will look like a large roll. Continue until all the dough and meatball mixture has been used.
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with non-stick spray. Add all 15 of the dough balls into the pan. It will be a tight fit.
- Combine the garlic butter ingredients together in a small bowl and stir. Use a pastry brush to brush the mixture over the dough balls.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Make the dipping sauce:
- Stir together all the dipping sauce ingredients and heat through in a pan on the stove or in the microwave.
- Serve the meatball rolls with the dipping sauce.
- Category: Beef/Pork
- Method: Oven