A white cake with pineapple, cream cheese frosting and pecans. You can make a small cake in the Instant Pot or a normal size cake in the oven.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups white or yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- 1/2 white sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup crushed pecans
- In a mixing bowl stir together oil, cake mix, egg and water until smooth.
- Spray a pot in pot cake pan with non-stick spray. Pour the cake batter into the pan. Cover the pan with foil.
- Pour 1 ½ cups of water into bottom of Instant Pot. Place the cake pan on a sling/trivet. Lower the pan into the Instant Pot. Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 35 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid. Invert cake onto a plate or a platter. Poke holes all over the cake with a wooden skewer or a fork. Let the cake cool.
- While cake is cooling make the pineapple layer. Dump water out of Instant Pot and dry the pot. Turn Instant pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the pineapple and the white sugar. Bring to a boil and stir for about 4 minutes. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Make the frosting by mixing together softened cream cheese, ¼ cup softened butter, powdered sugar and vanilla with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer.
- Assemble the cake by spreading the pineapple mixture so it evenly covers the cake. Then drop the frosting by dollops onto the cake. Then smooth out the frosting and spreading as best as you can. Finally sprinkle the pecans on top of the cake.
- Slice, eat and enjoy!
To make this cake in the oven: prepare the entire box of cake mix according to package directions. Bake according to package directions in a 9×13 inch pan. Double all the other ingredients (the pineapple and frosting) and prepare as stated in directions above. The oven version makes about 12 servings.
Some versions of this cake mix the pecans in with the frosting. That would be delicious too!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Instant Pot or Oven