Easy slow cooker recipe for Louisiana red beans and rice–not too spicy but plenty of flavor!
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 rib of celery, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans of kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I used dark red but you can use light red beans too)
- 12-16 oz of Andouille sausage, sliced into half inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Blackened Seasoning (optional)
- Hot cooked rice
- Combine diced onion, minced garlic, oil, paprika, cajun seasoning and thyme in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds. Add mixture to the slow cooker.
Add diced celery, diced green pepper, drained beans, sausage, bay leaf and chicken broth to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or on LOW for 4 hours. Remove the lid and stir. Add a splash of red wine and then salt and pepper and blackened seasoning to taste.
- Serve in a bowl with a scoop of rice.
Ideal slow cooker size: 4 quart (I used my 3 quart and it was filled to the brim)