A fast and easy chili recipe that has lots of flavor but isn’t too spicy! Perfect for any night of the week or for the chili cook-off contest.
- 1 piece of uncooked bacon
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Better than Bouillon Beef Base
- 1 chipotle pepper canned in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans chili beans
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- Toppings: Fritos, grated cheese, sour cream, diced green or red onions
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the piece of bacon and the onion. The onion will cook in the bacon grease. Stir for a couple of minutes and then add in the beef. Break up the beef and brown it for 5-10 minutes. If there is excess grease spoon it off and discard. Leave the bacon in there for added flavor.
- Add in the kosher salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, Better than Bouillon and adobo. Stir to really coat the beef in all the seasonings.
- Pour the water into the pot and scrape the bottom of the pot so that it’s clean. Turn off the saute setting.
- Next layer the following ingredients on top of the beef and do not stir: chili beans and juices, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste (in dollops). Lastly sprinkle in the cinnamon and cocoa powder.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 20 minutes on high pressure. When the time is up let the pot sit for 15 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir the chili really well. Then ladle into bowls and serve with toppings. If desired refrigerate the chili and warm up the next day and serve for even better flavor.
Crockpot instructions: Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add in the bacon and onion. Saute the onion in the bacon grease. Then add in the ground beef and brown for about 5-10 minutes. Spoon off any excess grease. Add the beef into the slow cooker. Add in the kosher salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, Better than Bouillon and adobo. Stir to really coat the beef in all the seasonings. Add in the water, chili beans with juices, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, cinnamon and cocoa powder, Stir well. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Remove the lid. Stir the chili really well. Then ladle into bowls and serve with toppings. If desired refrigerate the chili and warm up the next day and serve for even better flavor.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American