This Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup is the most creamy, comforting and delicious soup ever! Whenever I make it I get tons of compliments. It is a favorite with my husband and family and is requested often. Even if you’re a beginner cook you can make this recipe! And everyone will think you are an advanced chef when you serve it. It is amazing.
- 1 cup (115 grams) finely diced carrots
- 1 cup (115 grams) finely diced celery
- 1 cup (115 grams) finely diced onions
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 (14 oz) cans diced petite tomatoes with juice or crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups half and half, warmed*
- Salt and pepper
- First you’re going to sauté the carrots, onions and celery in skillet over the stove top (If you don’t want to saute your vegetables you can add them directly to the slow cooker. I’ve used both methods and while I think sauteeing is the best choice you really can do either). First warm up the oil over medium high heat. To see if the oil is hot enough throw a bit of carrot or onion in there. If the oil reacts by sizzling, then the oil is hot enough. Add in your onions, carrots and celery. Stir frequently for about 5 minutes. When the vegetables soften a bit and the onion becomes more translucent (see through) add in the garlic and the oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Sauté for two more minutes. Add this mixture to your slow cooker.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chicken broth and bay leaf to your slow cooker. Cover and let cook on LOW for about 5-7 hours or on HIGH for about 3-4. The carrots should be tender.
- Now you’ll make a roux. Start by melting a stick of butter over very low heat in a fairly large skillet. Don’t rush the process. Just do it over low heat. Once the butter is all melted you will every so slowly whisk in your flour. I just add about a tablespoon at a time. After the flour is all added in continue to whisk the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Once the 5 minutes is up you’ll dip a measuring cup into your slow cooker and pour three cups of the soup into the roux. Stir it with a whisk immediately. It will start to thicken really nicely. Once it’s thickened you will add the contents of this pan back into the slow cooker. Give it a stir. The soup will begin to thicken.
- Add Parmesan cheese and whisk to blend. Stir in warmed half and half (if it’s warmed it will prevent it from curdling).
- Now add in extra salt and pepper. I like to add in about 1/4 tsp of salt at a time until I get it perfect. The amount of salt you’ll use will depend on if you use low sodium broth or tomatoes and other factors. I usually add in a teaspoon more of salt.
- Cover and let simmer on the low setting for about 10 more minutes.
- Ladle into serving bowls and enjoy!
Ideal slow cooker size: 6 quart (this is my favorite slow cooker)
You can use whole milk instead of half and half. You can even use regular milk if you’d like.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker