A thick and creamy chowder with bacon, corn, potatoes, celery and minced clams.
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup water
- 3 medium russet or yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 (6.5 oz) cans minced clams with juice
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup crumbled bacon (I just used the packaged kind of real bacon bits)
- 3 celery ribs, cut into quarter inch pieces
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- Add onion, water, potatoes, clams with juice, corn, bacon and celery to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Place the butter, half and half, milk and flour in a saucepan to make a roux. Cook on low and whisk until it is thick and bubbly. Take about 1/2 cup of the liquid from the slow cooker and mix it into the roux. Then add the roux to the slow cooker and stir. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on LOW for an additional 30 minutes.
I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.*
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup of soup
- Calories: 266
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 794 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Protein: 16 g