- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 2-3 cups of cooked turkey
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup finely diced or grated carrots
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1 (4.3 oz) package of Long grain and Wild Rice Rice-a-Roni
- 1/2 cup instant brown rice (I didn’t feel like the Rice-a-Roni gave it enough rice so I added in more but if you like less rice and more broth then feel free to leave this out)
- 2 cups heavy cream (you can also use half and half or milk)
- Place chicken thighs in the bottom of the slow cooker (I used frozen chicken). If you’re using leftover turkey add in about 2-3 cups.
- In a microwave-safe dish combine the celery, carrots, flour and butter. Place in the microwave and cook for 5 minutes, stirring every minute. The butter will melt and the vegetables will get soft. The flour should be stirred in as best as possible but it will be a paste-y consistency. Add into the slow cooker.
- Add in the broth, water, salt, pepper, Rice-a-Roni plus the seasoning packet and instant brown rice.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for about 3 hours or on LOW for 6 hours (or until rice and chicken are cooked through). Remove the chicken and cut into pieces or shred. Add it back into the crock.
- Stir the soup a bit and then add in cream (or milk) that has been warmed up for about a minute in the microwave (if you add in cold dairy to the hot soup it will probably curdle). Let the soup cook on HIGH without the lid for about 10 minutes to thicken up. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
Ideal slow cooker size: 6-7 quart