If you’re trying to cut down on your grocery bill I have a nourishing and inexpensive slow cooker beans recipe. We start with dried pinto beans (cheap!) and cook them all day while you’re at work (earning money to pay off your debts). Add in some salt, cumin, garlic powder and tomato sauce and you have dinner (or lunch)!
The night before
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 Tbsp salt
The day of
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 to 1 tsp salt (I like to use kosher salt)
- Hot cooked rice
- Sort through and rinse off the beans. Place them in a large bowl. Cover with 6 cups of water and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp salt. Soak at least 8 hours.
- Drain the beans and rinse. Add the beans to the slow cooker. Add in 4 cups of water.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-12 hours or on HIGH for 6-8 hours, or until beans reach desired consistency. Drain off any excess water.
- Add in garlic powder, tomato sauce, cumin and salt. Stir.
- Serve beans over hot cooked rice.
I used my 6 quart slow cooker for this recipe.