The casserole from your childhood that’s made easy in the slow cooker! Creamy rice, broccoli florets, sharp cheddar cheese and your choice of either chicken or ham are combined to make a perfect side dish or main dish.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs cut into bite size pieces (uncooked or cooked) or cubed ham
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a pot on the stove. Once the chicken broth is boiling add in the broccoli and let it cook for 3 minutes. Then pour the broth and broccoli into the slow cooker.
- Stir in the rice, chicken/ham, cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, evaporated milk, garlic salt, pepper and half of the grated cheese.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours (Depending on your slow cooker you may cook anywhere from 90 minutes to 3 hours on high. Mine took 1 hour and 50 minutes.)
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and let it melt.
- Scoop the casserole onto plates and enjoy!
I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.* My favorite feature of this slow cooker is that it has a stovetop function. So for step one I used the stovetop feature to bring the broth to a boil.
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/10 of recipe
- Calories: 395
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 924 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Protein: 28 g
Keywords: chicken, crockpot, broccoli