Pesto and parmesan cheese pull-apart breadsticks shaped in a festive Christmas tree shape. This is super fun to make and even more fun to eat! Don’t forget the dipping sauce!
For the bread:
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast (aka rapid- or quick-rise yeast)
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
For the dipping sauce:
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Add yeast, water and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Let the yeast dissolve for a minute. Add oil, salt and flour into the bowl.
- Turn mixer on and knead the dough for 5 minutes. The dough should be a little sticky. If it is overly sticky then add in a bit more flour.
- Spray your Instant Pot with non-stick cooking spray. Add the dough into the liner. Set Instant Pot to yogurt function LESS (use adjust button to get it to less, it should say 24 hours). Cover Instant Pot with a glass lid or a plate and let it raise for 25-30 minutes.
- Place the dough in the middle of a sheet or parchment paper or a silpat. Use your palms to press out the dough into a large rectangle shape (about 10 x 15 inches).
- Use a pizza cutter to cut from a bottom corner to the center of the top. Repeat on the other side so you have 1 full triangle and 2 halves of a triangle on either side.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Transfer both side triangle pieces to the baking sheet. Pinch the middle seam to seal and stretch the dough to form a single triangle.
- Spoon the pesto sauce all over the dough.
- Flip the remaining triangle over the top of the filling and stretch the dough to cover completely. Pinch the edges together.
- Use a pizza cutter to make horizontal slices on each side of the Christmas tree about 1 inch apart from the top to bottom. Leave the trunk of the tree intact.
- Pull the strips outward and twist.
- In a small bowl stir together the melted butter and the garlic powder. Use a pastry brush to brush the mixture all over the top of the bread.
- Sprinkle the trunk of the tree with parmesan cheese
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In a pan on the stove combine all the dipping sauce ingredients and warm on medium heat.
- Pull off the breadsticks and dip in the sauce and enjoy!
- Category: Bread
- Method: Instant Pot and Oven