We’ve been making these cookies in my family at Christmastime for years. They are so festive and delicious. They are ultra chocolatey and have a bit of a cherry flavor too.
For the cookies:
- 1 (10 oz) jar maraschino cherries
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
For the frosting:
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F. Use a bowl on top of a colander to drain the cherries and reserve the juice. Drain them as well as you can. Pat the cherries with a paper towel to get them as dry as possible. This is really important or the cookies will spread.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a mixer to cream the butter. Add in the sugar and beat until fluffy. Add in the egg and the vanilla and beat well. Slowly mix in the flour mixture and mix until it is well combined.
- Shape the dough into 1 inch balls. Place them on a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. (I use this cookie sheet...it doesn’t need parchment, a silicone mat or any grease! It is amazing). Press down the center of each cookie dough ball with your thumb and place a cherry in the center of each cookie.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes. Let the cookies rest on the cookie sheet for 3 minutes. Then transfer them to a wire cooling rack.
- Prepare the frosting: Place sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips in a glass bowl. Microwave for about 1 minute. Stir until smooth. If you need to microwave again, do it in 10 second increments. Stir in 4 teaspoons of the cherry juice. Generously spread the frosting over each of the cookies.
- Category: Dessert