Tender chicken in a homemade barbecue sauce and provolone cheese piled on french bread slathered with garlic butter and then toasted until brown. An EASY dinner that everyone raves about!
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless or bone-in chicken breasts or thighs (or a combination)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp dehydrated onion
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp tabasco sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 12 slices french bread
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 6 slices of provolone cheese
- Add chicken broth and chicken into bottom of Instant Pot. Lightly salt and pepper the chicken.
- In a pot-in-pot* dish whisk together the remaining ingredients (except butter) until smooth. Add the pat of butter (1 Tbsp) into the dish.
- Place a tall trivet* into the Instant Pot around the chicken. Place the pot-in-pot dish on top of the tall trivet.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 12 minutes for fresh chicken or 15 minutes for frozen chicken. When time is up let the pot sit for 8 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Move the pot-in-pot dish out of the Instant Pot. Move chicken to a cutting board. Discard the broth. Shred or chop the chicken. Add the chicken into the Instant Pot. Scrape the sauce from the pot-in-pot dish into the chicken. Stir to coat the chicken.
- Soften the quarter cup of butter. Stir it together with the garlic and parsley. Butter one side of each bread slice. This will be the outer side of the sandwich.
- Place one slice of bread in a pan over medium heat or on a griddle, butter-side down. Repeat with 5 more slices of bread.
- Add cheese slices on top of the bread in the pan. Then add a scoop of the bbq chicken mixture.
- Place the second bread slice on top of the chicken, butter-side up.
- Cook the sandwich for 2-3 minutes or until the bottom bread slice turns golden brown.
- Carefully flip the sandwich using a spatula.
- Cook the other side for an additional 2-3 minutes until it is golden brown and the cheese inside has melted.
- Remove the grilled cheese sandwich from the pan and let it cool for a minute before serving.
- Category: Chicken