Almost Heaven Cake is a fluffy yellow cake with a pineapple jam filling and frosted with a cream cheese and whipped topping mixture. Finally the cake it topped with toasted coconut and pecans. It’s a sweet (not overly sweet) treat that is perfect to bring to a family dinner or a potluck. It’s fruity and fun!
For the pineapple layer:
- 2 1/2 cups fresh pineapple diced into small pieces (or a 20 ounce can of pineapple)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
For the cake:
- 1 (15.25 oz) box cake mix (use a yellow, white, coconut, pineapple or lemon cake mix)
- Plus the ingredients listed on the box to make the cake
For the frosting:
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 (8 oz) container Cool Whip
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Add the pineapple, sugar and lemon juice into Instant Pot and stir. Set aside the zest for later. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting and remove the lid.
- Use a potato masher to mash the pineapple or pulse in a food processor or blender. Set aside to let it cool.
- Follow the directions on the cake mix box and bake the cake.
- While cake is baking prepare the frosting. Use a hand mixer to whip the cream cheese. Fold in the cool whip and lemon zest. Set aside.
- Toast the coconut by preheating the oven to 325ºF. Place coconut evenly on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Put the baking sheet in the oven, on the middle rack, and bake for 3 minutes, or until most of the coconut is golden brown.
- When the cake is done pierce the cake all over with a wooden skewer or a fork. Pour the pineapple mixture evenly over the top of the cake. Gently spread with a spoon. Let the cake sit until it has cooled.
- Spread the frosting over the top of the cake with a rubber scraper. Sprinkle the cake with pecans and toasted coconut.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. This cake gets better if you can let it sit for at least a couple hours and up to 24 hours. Slice and serve.
- Category: Dessert