This recipe is sometimes referred to as “Texas Caviar.” It’s a corn and bean salsa with fresh tomatoes and avocados and a zesty Italian dressing. Easy to make and totally addicting!
- 1 (20 oz) Package of Hurst’s 15 Bean Soup
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 2 cups white sweet corn (I used frozen and just ran hot water over them until they were thawed)
- 2 ripe diced avocados
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper and garlic powder
- Add package of beans to large bowl and fill with lots of water, enough to cover the beans by 2 inches. Add in 1 Tbsp of salt. Let the beans soak for at least 8 hours. Drain the beans and rinse off in a colander. You can save the seasoning packet for another recipe. It has good flavoring for soups!
- Add the beans into the slow cooker. Add in 2 tsp salt. Fill the slow cooker with enough water to cover the beans by 2 inches. Cover and let cook on low for about 8-10 hours, or until beans are tender. Drain the water off of the beans and add the beans to a large serving bowl. Let them cool.
- Prepare the other ingredients while beans are cooling.
- Add all the other ingredients (besides salt and pepper) into the serving bowl and fold everything in gently (so you don’t mash the beans and avocados).
- Salt and pepper and garlic powder to taste and then serve salsa with tortilla chips.
I used a 6 quart* slowcooker for this recipe. *This is an amazon affiliate link