Makes 4 servings
1 lb ground turkey
Taco seasoning packet or 2 Tablespoons of the make your own recipe
Salad greens and toppings of your choice (tomatoes, avocado, cheese, sour cream, salsa, black beans, corn…whatever)
1. Place ground turkey in the bottom of your slow cooker. (I put mine in totally frozen)
2. Cover and cook on LOW for 2-5 hours (depending on if it’s frozen, how big your slow cooker is, how fast your slow cooker cooks etc.)
3. Stir to break up meat and cook any extra time that is needed. Drain off any grease.
5. Let the seasonings cook with the meat for a a bit until it tastes incorporated and yummy.
6. Serve meat over salad greens and add desired toppings. (You could also serve this in regular tacos as well)
Well this may not seem like a “recipe” to many of you but I thought I would post it anyhow. I have never really cooked ground meats raw in my slow cooker before. A lady told me that when she didn’t want to get a pan out she threw her ground beef in her slow cooker for a couple of hours, drained off the grease and used it with her spaghetti. I thought I would try the ground turkey and see how it worked. I liked not having to thaw the meat. I threw it in frozen solid. I also liked using my small slow cooker for this because it is easier to clean. After the grease was drained off it tasted just as good as if it were browned on the stove. I will definitely use this method again. It’s a great way to keep taco meat warm when you’re serving in shifts (think cub scout day, soccer, ballet, working late, etc.)
Also, I was happy to find this recipe for making your own taco seasoning. Saves money and I usually have all the ingredients on hand. Perfect. Make in a large batch and store in an air tight container…saves time when you’re in a hurry.
This has been such an eye opener, I had no idea i could throw frozen ground turkey in the crock pot. Thank you all for the recipes. Life just got easier.
Yes! This was exactly the question I had and you answered it. You gave me confidence to stick the raw ground turkey in the slow cooker. Thank you. And I like adding my own seasonings as well.
I agree with Jenette as I hate to have to cook it before I start! Thank you for this!
This is great! I was just wishing that I didn't have to brown my ground meat before putting in my crockpot—I totally hate having to wash another pan.
She threw in the raw ground meat into the slow cooker and let it brown for 2-5 hrs on LOW.