Instant Pot Dolly Parton’s 5-Layer Dinner—a simple but delicious five layer casserole recipe that’s cooked in the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Dolly Parton’s 5-Layer Dinner
While googling recipes on the internet Greg came across a recipe called Dolly Parton 5-layer dinner. Since I’ve recently listened to and thoroughly enjoyed a podcast about Dolly as well as visited her hometown in Tennessee I was intrigued. What makes a casserole good enough to don the name of Dolly?
I tried to figure out if this was legitimately a recipe that Dolly makes/made but couldn’t seem to find the answer. According to some this recipe is one that she has shared. In an interview with Good Morning America Dolly said, “Every diet I ever fell off of has been because of a potato,” Parton admitted. “Either French fries, or mashed potatoes, or baked potatoes. Potato, potato, potato! I never met a spud I didn’t like.” One of the 5 layers of this dinner is potato…so I’m pretty sure that even if Dolly didn’t come up with this recipe she would definitely approve!
The original recipe is made in the oven and has a 2 hour cooking time. I knew this would be a great recipe to make in the Instant Pot since it would be able to cut the cooking time to less than half. I did use the pot-in-pot method for this recipe because there is no liquid in the original recipe. If you’re unfamiliar with how pot-in-pot works you can watch this video…
What equipment do I need? I like to use a 3 quart Instant Pot liner* inside the 6 quart Instant Pot liner for pot-in-pot cooking. I also have the Fat Daddios 7 x 3 inch pan* and Fat Daddios 7 x 4 inch pan* that work great. I love using my OXO sling* to lower pans into my Instant Pot. It also works well as a trivet for hard boiled eggs and many other things. I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1* but you can also use an 8 quart or 10 quart pot.
You’ll Also like…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
A simple but delicious fiver layer casserole recipe that’s cooked in the Instant Pot.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 small/medium russet potatoes (about 11 ounces), thinly sliced (about ¼ inch) into rounds
- 1 ½ tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced and rings separated
- 1 (15 oz) can diced, stewed or crushed tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into ½ inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- Brown the beef: You can do this step on the stove in a pan or in the Instant Pot. Turn Instant Pot to the sauté setting. When the display says HOT add in the ground beef and break it up*. Add in the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasoning. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. If there is any excess grease drain it off. Clean out your Instant Pot.
- Lay the potatoes in an oven safe pan for pot-in-pot cooking (I use a 3 quart IP liner inside the 6 quart IP liner for pot in pot cooking*). Drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes. Sprinkle the potatoes with salt and pepper (don’t be shy, potatoes love salt).
- Add beef on top of potatoes.
- Add the onions on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle the onions with salt and pepper.
- Dump the tomatoes on top of the onions. Sprinkle the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Layer the green bell peppers on top of the tomatoes. Sprinkle the peppers with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan with foil. Set the pan on top of a trivet/sling.
- Dump 1 cup water into bottom of Instant Pot. Lower the pan into the Instant Pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 40 minutes. When time is up move the valve to venting and remove the lid.
- Remove the foil. Scoop contents of pan onto plates and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.