Instant Pot Biscuits and Gravy Casserole–your favorite southern breakfast baked together in a pan. A comforting and filling meal that you can serve for breakfast or dinner.
Instant Pot Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…southern food is the best kind of food! Sausage gravy made in the Instant Pot and homemade biscuits is one of the most delicious breakfasts ever! It’s hearty and comforting. We like to serve it for dinner rather than breakfast (not enough time in the morning!). But whatever meal you decide to eat Instant Pot biscuits and gravy casserole you’re going to love it!
This casserole has layers of mini biscuits, gravy, more biscuits and then finally more sausage gravy. It’s not the healthiest meal but every once it a while this meal just hits the spot! You’ll make the gravy in your Instant Pot (no browning of the sausage!!!) and make homemade biscuit dough (or you can use Pillsbury) and then bake it all together in a square baking dish in the oven. My family took this down in about 2.2 seconds after fasting all day.
More Instant Pot Southern Recipes…
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
Your favorite southern breakfast baked together in a pan. A comforting and filling meal that you can serve for breakfast or dinner.
For the biscuits:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup shortening
- ⅔ cup milk
For the gravy:
- 1 pound ground sausage
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbles. Make a well in the center, add milk all at once. Stir just until dough clings together.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough gently for 10 to 12 strokes. Roll or or pat dough to ½ inch thickness. With a pizza cutter slice the dough into 1 inch square pieces.
- Spray an 8×8 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place half of the dough pieces in the bottom of the pan and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Add uncooked sausage into Instant Pot. Break up meat. Pour in the broth. Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting and remove the lid.
- In a large glass measuring cup whisk the flour into the milk a little at a time until smooth. Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting and pour the mix mixture into the pot. Stir until gravy thickens and gets bubbly. Stir in the salt and pepper. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Pour half of the gravy over the biscuits in the bottom of the pan. Then top with the rest of the uncooked biscuit pieces. Bake for another 10-12 minutes. Then pour the rest of the gravy over the top.
- Cut and serve and enjoy!
You can also use a large can of refrigerated biscuit dough in the place of homemade dough.
I used my 3 quart mini Instant Pot* for this recipe but you can also use a 6 or 8 quart pot.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.