|Photo taken by Katie Dudley Photography|
Flavorful and healthy ground chicken taco filling. Use in tacos or on taco salad.
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 lb ground chicken (90/10)
- 1 piece of bread
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- Toppings: cheese, cilantro, avocado, tomatoes, sour cream
- Place onion, chili powder, garlic, oregano and oil in microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 4-5 minutes, stirring every minute until soft. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the tomato sauce and brown sugar into the slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bread and milk together into a paste. Add in the ground chicken and the 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Mix together but do not over stir.
- Add chicken to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or on HIGH for 2 hours.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Add lime juice to taste.
- Serve chicken filling wrapped up in tortillas with desired toppings.
This is another great summer meal with fresh yummy toppings. You could also use this meat for a taco salad. I loved that you didn’t have to brown the meat and it still worked. The ground chicken is lean enough that it doesn’t sit in a bunch of grease.
I love ground chicken. It is easy to cook, flavorful and very healthy. If you haven’t tried ground chicken yet, do it. My family is loving it. I enjoy it much more than ground beef. You can substitute it in most any recipe that calls for ground beef or ground turkey.