I’ve read before that the average person gains 7-8 pounds from Thanksgiving until New Years. That’s a lot of extra weight! This week on The 365 Days Podcast, Heidi and I tackle the topic of maintaining your current weight even when there is so much good food all around during this festive time of year.
My Top Three Tips for Maintaining Weight Over the Holidays
- Exercise is your best friend. I love to exercise! However during this time of year it becomes a little more difficult. It’s dark in the morning, it’s dark in the early evening. It’s cold outside. There is a lot to get done for the upcoming holidays. So with all these excuses it’s easy to say “I’ll get back on track in January.” Well don’t say that. Just make up your mind that you’ll diligently exercise no matter what happens and do it. I like to exercise 6 days a week. I do different things so I don’t get bored and I’m constantly trying to get better. No matter how lethargic you feel you’ll always feel more energetic and happier after you exercise.
- Wear tight-ish pants to dinner. Haha. This is a funny one. But when I wear more fitted clothes I eat less. If I’m busting out of my favorite jeans then I’m more likely to stop eating or not eat as much. If I’m wearing stretch pants or sweats I’ll eat a lot more.
- Only eat the things that matter to you. There are certain foods that are just okay for me. Other foods I love and look forward to. Only eat the things that you absolutely love. You don’t have to eat it just because everyone else likes it. Be particular on your calories and make them count! For example, this might be sacrilegious but I don’t like pumpkin pie that much. I’m sorry but it’s true. I would way rather have a piece of banana cream pie or a piece of French silk pie. That’s just me. So I’ll skip out on the pumpkin pie and go for something I really love this year.
Heidi’s Tips for Maintaining Your Weight Over the Holidays
- Look at the holidays as a whole. There are about 40 days from Thanksgiving until New Year’s Day. Look at your calendar and mark the meals that you are going to eat whatever you want. You may have a party here and a party there but overall there are only going to be about 7-10 meals that are going to like that. That’s only a small fraction of the entire 40 days (40 days x 3 meals a day = 120 meals). Those 10 cheat meals (or whatever you want to call them) won’t mess you up if you get right back on track. But do make sure to get right back on track 😉
- Weigh in. This is not a popular thing to say but if you weigh yourself somewhat frequently and take note of it, it will help you be more honest with yourself. It’s like an accountability partner that never lies.
This week’s challenge
Each week on the 365 Days Podcast we issue a challenge. This week the challenge is to weigh yourself in. The whole idea is that we are going to try and maintain our weight over the holidays. If you’re careful I’m positive that you can get through Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years without any extra weight on your body. I’d love to know your tips for weight maintenance! Let me know by texting or leaving a voicemail at 858-365-3297.
If you haven’t listened to my podcast or don’t know what a podcast is, let me tell you. It’s a free audio program that you can listen to at your leisure. If you have a smartphone you can use a podcast app to subscribe to The 365 Days Podcast or you can always just use your computer to listen to the podcast straight off my website.
Sign Up For Our Weekly Podcast Email
Each Monday I send out an email with all the helpful show notes and links. I also include recipes from time to time and discount codes for the products we discuss. Sign up to receive that Monday Email by going to www.365daysofcrockpot.com/365-podcast.