Makes 4-6 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 3-4 quart
5 cups water + 2 1/2 tsp shirley j chicken bouillon or 5 tsp chicken bouillon granules OR 5 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup long-grain brown rice or 3/4 cup pearl barley
1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish with lemon zest and/or slices
1. Add water, bouillon, rice (or barley) and parsley into slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours (or until rice is cooked through).
3. Turn slow cooker to LOW.
4. In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and lemon juice. Add a ladle-ful of soup into the eggs yolks. Whisk some more. Add all back into the slow cooker.
5. Cover and cook on LOW for another 10 minutes.
6. Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with lemon slices or lemon zest.
A light but very flavorful soup. The fresh lemon juice gave it such brightness and flavor. This is perfect for lunch or as a side to dinner. I also think that if you wanted to make it a bit creamier you could add in 1/2 cup of some Greek yogurt. Doesn’t that sound good? Or maybe just serve the soup with a dollop of Greek yogurt on top. 4 stars.