Makes 4-8 servings
2-4 lb Chuck Roast
1 small onion
1 cup beef broth
1 Tbsp ground cumin
3-5 garlic cloves, minced
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (14 oz) can green enchilada sauce
1-2 Tbsp tomato paste
Cilantro, lime, avocado
1. Cut the onion into large, chunky slices and place on the bottom of slow cooker.
2. Place the roast on top of the onions.
3. Combine broth, cumin, garlic and tomato sauce and pour over the top of the roast.
4. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours, or until beef easily shreds.
5. Move meat to a cutting board and use 2 forks to shred the beef.
6. Strain the juices from the slow cooker (reserve the juice). Move meat back to the slow cooker and pour tomato paste and desired amount of enchilada sauce over the top. Stir in. Add any strained juices back in that you want.
7. Use kosher salt and cumin to taste.
8. Serve over salad with the tomatillo dressing (recipe below), cilantro, lime and avocado slices.
Tomatillo Creamy Café Rio Dressing
1 (1 oz) package Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch mix
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tomatillos (peel outer skin layer)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
½ tsp lime juice
1 small jalapeno (seeds removed)
Put all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Refrigerate.
I have been eating this all week and loving it! I’m not that huge of a fan of red meat and will usually always prefer chicken or pork but I am seriously in love with this roast recipe. There was a lot of leftovers so I froze individual servings sizes in Ziploc freezer bags. It makes for an easy lunch or dinner later on. If you’re a salad fan, this recipe is worth trying. Do NOT forget the dressing. It is the most delicious stuff ever. I could drink it! (My son literally licks it off his plate, or the counter) 4 1/2 stars